Last evening I decided to prepare my go-to quick and easy healthy snack. Then I wondered how come I have not shared this recipe with you yet. This healthy snack is my most shared recipe ever. People always ask me about it so I thought I would spare myself the explanation and write it down for everyone to enjoy.
I’ve recreated this recipe more times than I can count, I’ve improvised and substituted ingredients and it always tastes delicious. You can play with it and add whatever you like. The base of the recipe is nuts and dates but I’ve tried everything from peanut butter instead of coconut oil to orange peels soaked in a little bit of rum (Yes, this was awesome!)
These healthy snack bars are vegan, sugar-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and basically everything bad free. They take only a few minutes to prepare and the final result tastes heavenly. Don’t make these if you can’t control yourself because Yes, you will be reaching for a second piece.
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup nuts (I used walnuts)
- 1/4 cup mix of pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp instant coffee (optional)
- Place the coconut oil in a small bowl and melt it in a microwave ( about 30 seconds)
- In a food processor chop the nuts, seeds( excluding the chia seeds) and shredded coconut.
- Add the pitted dates to the food processor and mix until incorporated.
- Add the cocoa powder, coconut oil, vanilla extract, salt and the coffee (if you are using) and process until all of the ingredients are well incorporated. You should be left with a sticky dough. If it doesn't stick when pressed between your fingers, you need to add a little more either coconut oil or dates in order to make it stick together.
- Finally add the chia seeds and knead it with your hands to make sure that the chia seeds are incorporated into the dough
- Place the dough on a parchment paper big enough to cover the top and bottom of the dough
- Using a rolling pin, spread the dough evenly on a surface until you reach the desired thickness.
- Cut in pieces and enjoy!